Friday, April 23, 2010

Week Three

This is turning into a very interesting class! Everyone is moving forward, and the enthusiasm is great.
Today we worked on arranging the paragraph from the homework. The final product looks like this, using our support/example approach:
My Job: Teacher
I love my job.Every day I learn new things, and I am always challenged to find creative ways to teach so that my students enjoy learning. Both of these elements are very satisfying for me. Also, even though I am basically a shy person, I think my job helps me to be outgoing. When I am teaching I am thinking about communicating with my students, and I don’t feel shy. Finally, I love learning about other cultures, and I feel that my mind is more open to other ways of thinking because of my work. Learning about other cultures teaches me a lot about myself. All in all, I feel very lucky to have a job like this.

The second in-class activity looks like this:
My Favorite Dessert
My favorite dessert is lemon cheesecake. First of all, it is lovely to look at. The light yellow cake is simple and unadorned, as unpretentious as a glass of water. Secondly, the texture is out of this world. Soft and creamy, it melts in my mouth without resistance, and reassures me that not everything in life is difficult. Finally there is the taste. The tangy lemon flavor blends with the light cream cheese and makes a rich yet refreshing delight.Who needs chocolate when there is lemon cheesecake?

YOUR GOALS THIS WEEK:
1. Check the comments I have made on your posts, and edit any posts that need editing. Then publish them again!
2. Write a support/example paragraph like the ones above. Everyone please write about their favorite dessert or their favorite place. Use the handout to write it with, then type it into a new post.
3. Grammar/Quia site: EVERYONE please do the top activities: "Guess the useful Blog vocabulary" and "Correct Spacing with Punctuation and "Present to Past" and "A, An, Some Any" activities. Sergio, Javeir, Cain, Martha, Lily, Donna, Juventino, Kathryn and Myung: ALSO do the Finding the Main Idea"activity. Please log on to Quia with your username and passwords to do these before Friday.
4. Visit your blog partner's blog and make at least one comment.
5. Practice keyboarding and spelling. The links are on our class blog.
6. Advanced students and anyone else who is super-motivated: Write paragraphs choosing from our "Topics" list (see the link at the class blog.)
EMAIL me with any questions. I'll look forward to reading what you write.

No comments:

Post a Comment