Saturday, July 24, 2010

Assignment #3



In class today we went over the homework on word order, and talked about the SWAPS method of proofreading: Sentences, Words, Agreement, Punctuation, and Spelling. In the computer lab students worked on typing, spelling, and making corrections.We also went over verb changes for present, present continuous, past, and future tense.  We also took a GRADE ONE SPELLING TEST - the results are above. Congratulations! These tests are harder than many students imagine. Students read their "Pet Peeve" posts aloud, and we had a lively discussion about several of the peeves.  We were so busy we didn't really take a break. This group is very dynamic; everyone is thoughtful and productive.  Keep up the great work!


 A few students are working on resumes and cover letters; if you want to write a resume, please BRING TO THE NEXT CLASS a list of dates and places you have worked and where you have gone to school. 


The homework is:
1. Write in the future tense. The topic is: "Tomorrow I'm going to spend the day with..."  Use your imagination, a variety of verbs, and make sure to proofread with SWAPS.  LIz's example is below.


2. Practice typing at least 3 times, for 20 minutes each time.


3. Work on GRADE TWO Spelling! There are MORE WORDS than grade one, and we will take a test in class next week. 


4. Do the QUIA activities for week three.


HERE IS LIZ'S EXAMPLE (Notice how the present tense is used as well.)
Tomorrow I am going to spend the day with Michelle.  "Michelle who?" you ask. Why, Michelle Obama of course. I am really looking forward to it!  First, we are going to go shopping for clothes, and I am going to ask her to give me some advice on what to buy. We are going to look for good bargains;  I know that we both love to buy things on sale.  For lunch,  I am going to take her to my favorite local restaurant, Naan-n-Curry. I hope she likes Indian food!  I am going to talk to her about ESL teaching, because I know she is interested in what is happening with immigrants in this country.Then we are going to take a helicopter ride over Seattle, and take pictures of the area from above.  I think we are going to finish the day with dinner at Bill Gate's house.  Hmmmm....what should I take?  I wonder if he likes banana bread. I guess I shouldn't worry;  with Michelle there, he probably won't even notice me or my banana bread. 


Have a great week - email me with any questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment